Submitted by: Kerri Goldsmith
On March 1st, members and guests of the Southwest Florida Chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association learned how to take a brand beyond the logo and “walk the talk.” Christine Wright-Isak, Ph.D. shared her insights about branding and how to apply strategies for ourselves, our businesses and our clients.
Dr. Wright-Isak is a marketing and branding consultant and a Professor of Marketing at Florida Gulf Coast University’s Lutgert College of Business. Her experience includes work at Young & Rubicam and on well-known brands such as Hanes, Champion, and Colgate.
Some strategic steps to follow for any size brand would include:
- Inventory perceptions of what your brand means to others. Recognize all constituents.
- Research what promise you can keep well. Define it for all constituents and get feedback.
- Communicate that promise clearly and then keep it with your actions.
- Position to differentiate yourself from perceived alternatives. Consistently express your point of difference in all communications.
- Engage specific, strategic defined audiences.
- Continue to “make deposits” through improvements, public relations to educate constituents, promotions to add value, and advertising to create/clarify the meaning of your brand.
- Maintain your brand power by “minimizing withdrawals’. Brand reputational equity accrues influence leverage, is a platform for reputation management during troubled times, and builds a stockpile of trustworthiness.
“Prepare for your own surprising future, and then it will come to you.”